Two Sun Screens

From the left: The Saem's Eco Earth Power Tone Up Sun Cream, A'Pieu's Pure Block Natural Daily Sun Cream
Since July is fast approaching, I thought it would be fitting to do a little review of the two facial sun screens I've been using recently: The Saem's Eco Earth Power Tone Up Sun Cream (SPF 50+ PA+++) and A'Pieu's Pure Block Natural Daily Sun Cream (SPF 45 PA+++). This isn't really a comparison of the two, since they have pretty different formulas. The former is an inorganic (meaning that it contains zinc oxide and titanium oxide) and the latter an organic sun screen. I'm just too lazy to make a dedicated post for each, lol.


I have to say right off the bat that I'm not a fan of The Saem one. I tried to make it work, but I just don't think it's right for my skin. I wore it every day for two or three weeks - and probably looked like a hot mess. To be fair, this wasn't a carefully researched purchase. I bought it on a whim from a holiday sale at the beginning of this year. I had been using The Saem's Eco Earth Power Perfection Waterproof sun screen and I thought it was alright, so I wanted to try another product in their line. Plus it was discounted on top of having a very affordable price in the first place. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a bargain!

Here's swatches of both sun creams. The Saem's Tone up Sun Cream on the left and A'Pieu's Pure Block on the right.
I was expecting the Tone Up Sun Cream to have a thick texture and some sort of a white cast. I wasn't expecting it to leave me looking ghostly, though. Which it does. I think this sun screen might look really weird on someone with a darker skin tone. Once applied, it settles into a matte finish with a bit of an adhesive feeling. I wouldn't call it sticky, but it kind of feels like a makeup primer. But it still leaves behind a powdery residue on top of the skin? I don't understand how, but it makes the surface of my skin feel a bit tight as the day goes on, yet somehow it also makes my makeup break down faster. It's almost like whatever base I'm wearing on top of it shrinks and goes all patchy after a while.

Here are the swatches after a little bit of blending. You can definitely get the Tone Up Sun Cream less white if you keep patting it; this is just to give you an idea of the texture.
The sun cream seems very waterproof to me. In fact, I've had difficulties removing it properly, which might have contributed to some small break outs I've had recently. I've been trying to use the cream up by applying it all over before going out running. It's really not ideal for that either, because it leaves white powdery marks on my clothes. I definitely can't see myself buying it again. It's a bummer, because the actual sun blocking properties seem to work well. I just personally can't handle the consistency. That said, I really like a lot of The Saem's other products. Their concealers are the bomb.com and I love their Green Tea cleansing water!


The A'Pieu Pure Block is a lot nicer to my skin. I've used it much longer, so it might just be a case of my skin being more accustomed to it. It doesn't leave a heavy white cast and applies very smoothly. The consistency is more on the lighter, runnier side. The finish is definitely shiny, but it doesn't bother me. I like my base makeup dewy, plus I can always knock it back a bit with some loose powder. The Pure Block is not waterproof and it will probably come off pretty easily if you sweat a lot. I'm not sure how well this would work in a more hot and humid climate. Luckily the weather is pretty cool for most of the year where I live. I've already purchased this product again four or five times already, so I think I'm going to stick to it from now on. I actually don't have much to say about this product, even though I like it! I just think it's a nice staple in my morning routine. It's A-OK.

Which sun screens are you using this summer? 

3 comments:

  1. now i get it why apieu sunblock is way popular in kbeauty world, nice review llona :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's easy to see why a lot of people swear by it. It's a bice product and affordable too! :D Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
    2. *nice xD Mobile phone keyboard typos...

      Delete

Cosmetics sample inferno

I think the above is a familiar image to anyone who's a big fan of buying Korean cosmetics online (or shopping at Sephora's webs...